The long and short of it? America can come up with $700,000,000,000 to fund its military but can't come up with $98,000,000 to help hungry kids get lunch in school.
I'm so glad that the ethical core of this country can get riled up over a candidate's stance on abortion, but somehow misses the boat when it comes to taking care of those kids once they're out of the womb. NEWSFLASH people:
- CUBA has a lower infant mortality rate than we do.
- Nearly 1 in every 5 US children will be raised in poverty.
- That is the highest rate of child poverty in the OECD - a group of the world's wealthiest nations.
- We are the richest nation on Earth.
- Part 1, Article 3, Section 1 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child requires that "In all actions concerning children, whether undertaken by public or private social welfare institutions, courts of law, administrative authorities or legislative bodies, the best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration."
- A single F-22 Raptor costs $361,000,000. The US government plans to buy 183 of 'em.
- Children cannot eat F-22 Raptors.